Taammah: lang. A great calamity
- At-Tabaree said, "He, the Most High, says, So when that
event comes which is kmore terrible than all other events, such that it
submerges everything else with its terrors. And it is said that it is
one of the names of the Day of Resurrection. Alee, Ibn Abbaas
said, It is from the names of the Day of Resurrection. Allaah has
mentioned it as being something very great and has warned His servants about
- Al-Baghawee said, "Meaning, When the second blast occurs, at
which the Resurrection will take place. And the Day of Resurrection is
called Taammah because it drowns out all othere terrors and overcomes
them. And at-Taammah with the Arabs means a disaster that
cannot be survived."
Yawma Yatadhakarul-Insaana Maa Saaa
- At-Tabaree said, "He says, When the Overwhelming Calamity
comes about, then on that day mankind will remember the good and the evil
deeds that they did in this world. And that is his striving
- Al-Baghawee said, "Maa saaa: the good and the evil
that he did in this world."
- Ibn Katheer said, "Meaning, at that time the son of Aadam will
remember all of his deeds, the good and the evil."
- As-Sadee said, "So who was a doer of good will receive that
which is good, and whoever was a doer of evil can blame no one but
Wa Burrazatil-Jaheemu limay-Yaraa
- At-Tabaree said, "And Hell-fire will be made manifest, and it is
Allaahs Fire, for those who are looking onto see."
- Al-Baghawee said, "Muqaatil said, The cover will be removed
from it, so that the creation will be looking at it."
- Ash-Shawkaanee said, "It will be manifested such that it is not
hidden from anyone."
Fa-ammaa man Taghaa
- At-Tabaree said, "He, the Most High, says, So as for he who
insolently rejects his Lord, disobeys Him and haughtily refuses to worship
Him. Mujaahid said, Taghaa: disobeys Him."
- Al-Baghawee said, "(Transgresses) with his Unbelief."
- Ibn Katheer said, "Meaning, he rebels and is insolent."
- Ash-Shawkaanee said, "Meaning, he who transgresses with kufr
- As-Sadee said, "Meaning, he who goes beyond the limits by
insolently committing the major sins, and by not restricting himself to the
limits laid down by Allaah."
- At-Tabaree said, "And prefers the enjoyment of this world to then
honour of the Hereafter and whatever Allaah has prepared in it for His
Awliyaa (those who love and obey Him). But he works and strives for
this world and abandons working for the Hereafter."
- Ibn Katheer said, "Meaning, he gives precedence to it."
- As-Sadee said, "(Preferring it) over the Hereafter. So he
strives for it, and his time is occupied with it and the desires that are
from it, and he forgets the Hereafter and action for it."
At-Tabaree said, "He says, So Allaahs Fire
which is called al-Jaheem (the Blazing Fire) is his abode and dwelling
place and the place where he will end up on the Day of Resurrection"
Wa-ammaa man khaafa Maqaama Rabbihee Wa-Nannafsa anil-Hawaa
- At-Tabaree said, "He says, As for he who fears his
Lords questioning him when he stands before Him on the Day of
Resurrection, so therefore he has taqwaa for Him by doing whatever He
has made obligatory and avoiding sinning against Him. And he prevents his
soul from desires, meaning, and he prevents his soul from whatever it
desires that Allaah hates and is not pleasing to Him. So He prevents it from
that and goes against his desires in favour of what his Lord has commanded
- Al-Baghawee said, "From the forbidden things which it desires.
Muqaatil said, It is the man who thinks of committing a sin but he
remembers his having to stand to give account, so he abandins
- At-Tabaree said, "He says, Then Paradise is his dwelling
place and abode on the Day of Resurrection."
- As-Sadee said, "Paradise, which includes everything that is
good, every delight and every pleasure, (is the abode) for the one who has
this as his characteristic."
Yasaloonaka anis-Saaati, Ayyaana